Re: Registration of Tetex suplied fonts

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 10:29 -0400, Yannick Gingras wrote:
> Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@web.de> writes:
>
> > [about http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/steffmann/index.htm]
> > Sorry, I have no idea. Is there some sort of README file in the packages
> > one can download from there?
>
> I downloaded a few of the zip files and they contains only the fonts,
> no README, no doc.  The download site refers to
>
>   http://www.steffmann.de/
>
> as the designers website but this site in german only.  I tried to
> decipher it with bablefish.  There doesn't seem to be mention of the
> distribution terms for the font.  Maybe we should write to the
> designer.  I can do it but if we have someone who can write in german
> it will probably be best.

Actually he does say something about this. But this is probably
difficult to spot without knowledge of German:

,----
| [...]
| Aus all diesen Gründen stelle ich meine Schriften jedermann für
| nichtprofessionelle Zwecke kostenlos ohne irgendwelche Einschränkungen
| zur Verfügung und hoffe, dass Sie sich an diesen Schriften genau so
| erfreuen wie ich und viele andere Schriftfreunde in aller Welt!
`----

This allows usage for 'nonprofessional' use without any cost or further
restrictions. He does not say anything on further distributing the fonts
or modification. I will try to ask him about more specific license
terms. I think the main problem for adding some of these fonts to
non-free is the missing statement on distribution. Right? I am not sure
if he would be interested in a DFSG free license.

[...]
> Could the type1 of ygoth be included in tetex-extra ?

Such requests used to be forwarded upstream. However, Thomas Esser --
the author of teTeX -- announced that there will not be any new releases
from him. In addition, the Type1 version of ygoth is part of the
texlive-fonts-extra package (currently in experimental), which can also
be used in conjunction with teTeX.

cheerio
ralf