Re: Registration of Tetex suplied fonts

Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@web.de> writes:

> [about http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/steffmann/index.htm]
> Sorry, I have no idea. Is there some sort of README file in the packages
> one can download from there?

I downloaded a few of the zip files and they contains only the fonts,
no README, no doc.  The download site refers to

  http://www.steffmann.de/

as the designers website but this site in german only.  I tried to
decipher it with bablefish.  There doesn't seem to be mention of the
distribution terms for the font.  Maybe we should write to the
designer.  I can do it but if we have someone who can write in german
it will probably be best.

>> How good are the ttf and type1 fonts made with mftrace?  Is is
>> reasonable to think that we could automate the conversion from
>> metafont to type1 ?
>
> Depends on the font. If you make use to the automatic postprocessing
> with fontforge that mftrace provides, then the fonts aren't bad in most
> cases. Not suitable for screen reading, though.
>
> Which fonts do you have in mind? As I said, for the ygoth this has been
> done. The difficulty is to get this into a form useable for other
> applications but TeX.

I must admit that I don't have other fonts in mind.  I thought that
the type1 fonts on ctan were just automatic conversion of the
metafonts.  I was thinking that it might be a good idea to call
mftrace on all the .mf files but know that I know more about the
expected result I agree that it probably isn't such a good idea.

Could the type1 of ygoth be included in tetex-extra ?

--
Yannick Gingras