Re: Registration of Tetex suplied fonts

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 00:32 -0400, Yannick Gingras wrote:

> Tetex has really nice fonts.  Many of those have equivalents in the
> xfonts packages but some don't.  In particular, xfonts lacks a good
> black letter font.  tetex-extra supplies the excellent ams-euler and
> ygoth fonts.  Those are among the best black letter fonts that I have
> ever seen.
>
> I think it would be a good idea to include an option to render those
> fonts in type1 or in ttf (with mftrace or other tools) and to register
> them with fontconfig.

The Euler fonts have been designed for math use, hence the spacing when
used for text is much to wide. In addition, this font uses a really odd
encoding, has no accented characters etc. So while it is a beautiful
font (designer: Herman Zapf!), one can't use it for text setings without
some further invlovement from a font designer.

The ygoth font has already been converted to Type 1 format, see
CTAN:fonts/ps-type1/yfonts/ on <URL:http://www.ctan.org/>. These fonts
are not included in teTeX, though. And again, while these fonts are
meant for text processing, I don't think it can be used in a sensible
way without TeX. The encoding is really strange, there are many
ligatures in the font, etc.

> Ok I should probably report this as a wishlist item with reportbug but
> I'd like to know what is the maintainers of tetex opinion on the
> subject.

IIRC there is allready a bug report on this, but in these particular
cases I am sorry to say that I don't see much use in it.

cheerio
ralf