Re: Future versions of teTeX, and TeXlive as a replacement

Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:

> BTW, one of the reasons for the large size of TeX Live packages is that
> they include the sources in TEXMF/source. With teTeX, tetex-src brings
> in another 120M. I guess it is similar for TeX Live. Could these files
> be compressed?

Why not install them in a separate package?

Or not install them at all.  I think the reason why the sources in
tetex-src are *installed* is simply that you can't have a source package
without a binary package, and the sources are in a tarball separate from
tetex-base.  If they were included, I don't see why we would need
tetex-src at all.

While adapting the latex.tpm from texlive to tetex, I also noticed that
the documentation sources are installed, not only the pdf files.  I
don't think this makes sense, and it probably contributes considerably
to the package size.

Debian Developer (teTeX)