Re: Future versions of teTeX, and TeXlive as a replacement

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 09:54 +0200, Norbert Preining wrote:
> with version -2 aptitude install texlive
> installes texlive-base, -latex, -fonts-recommended, -latex-recommended
> and basta. So it won't be huge, but I cannot check exactely how big.

At the moment, I think it also draws in -doc-en and -context. Via
dependencies, at least -metapost and -base-bin are also needed. For
these packages I get an installed size of about 200M. This is already
larger than tetex-{base,bin,extra,doc}, which is about 180M.

For me, this still would not have the same functionality I get from
teTeX. For obvious reasons I would add -doc-de and -lang-german, but
that isn't large. In order to have a complete PSNFSS installation, I
would have to add -math-extra (Pazo fonts and macros) and -fonts-extra
(FPL fonts), which is over 100M.¹ I am not sure if I would need
-latex-extra, which would add another 180M. At that point, I would, of
course, have much more than teTeX gives me. Some minor pieces
(custom-bib, revtex4) would also still be missing, but splitting a TeX
distribution is something really hard. One can't make it right for
everybody ...

BTW, one of the reasons for the large size of TeX Live packages is that
they include the sources in TEXMF/source. With teTeX, tetex-src brings
in another 120M. I guess it is similar for TeX Live. Could these files
be compressed?

cheerio
ralf

1 The placement of Pazo and FPL with pxfonts in -fonts-recommended is
  IMO a bug. Against which package should it be reported?