Future versions of teTeX, and TeXlive as a replacement (was: No future versions of teTeX?)

[Cc'ing to Norbert so that the mail might get more attention when he
comes back from the conference]

Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:

> Hi, All.
>
> On 04/22/06 05:18, Hilmar Preusse wrote:
>> On 22.03.06 Frank Küster (frank@kuesterei.ch) wrote:
>> > Therefore, yes, I'm not sure, but I fear that there will be no
>> > teTeX 3.1 or 4.0.
>>
>> I remember you wrote something like that. However I must have missed
>> that/could not really believe it.
>
> Does this mean that there is a possibility of teTeX 3.0 being the last
> one to be released?

Yes, I think this is not unrealistic.  I might be wrong, but we should
be prepared for this.

> If this is indeed the case, then, I think that it would be nice to
> give this warning to the users with a pointer to use texlive. :-(

For Debian, I think it is too early - we need texlive in stable, or at
least in testing with a chance to be released to stable.  Generally, I
guess that's up to Thomas to decide.  Maybe people should contact him
and ask  - I don't read the general teTeX list, therefore I don't know
whether this has been discussed there already.

> And
> it would be nice if texlive were a bit smaller...
> The whole teTeX 3.0 that I have now installed (sans documentation) is way
> smaller than the packages that provided similar functionality from Norbert's
> texlive upload to experimental (and I tried to pull in the smallest amount of
> packages that I could).

TeXlive is much more modular than teTeX; even the orig.tar.gz files are
of comparable size to tetex-base.  I'm surprised that it isn't possible
to get a more stripped-down, or equal-sized/equal-functionality
installation.  Can you provide us more details?

> I see that, by this trend, having small, customized solutions made for friends
> that just need some LaTeX+Emacs+GCC+some browsing is getting harder. :-(

We should definitely aim to support such setups, too.

Debian Developer (teTeX)