Re: tetex-doc-nonfree

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006, Ralf Stubner wrote:
> Most of the work on tetex-doc-nonfree was done before the GR on GFDL. At
> that time, it seemed pretty clear that any GFDL licensed document would
> have to go to non-free. Most of the discussion is in #345604. After the
> unexpected outcome of the GR, I am not sure if we should jump to
> conclusions already and move the files back.

Aehhe.. do you expect a new GR???

Do be honest, I would be really pissed, any many others too, since now
everyone starts to create foobar-doc-nonfree doc only for the GFDL with
the one sentence front/back cover texts. But ok, so it be.

So if there is a new GR, what should be the outcome?

BTW, why was it unexpected for you?

> > > . Why is fontinstallationguide in tetex-doc-nonfree? In TeX live there
> > >   is a source code which is GFDL/Debian [1]. Maybe it is not the
> > >   exact source code? Then it would be better to compile this source code
> > >   and include the output, or?
>
> Here we have the additional problem that the PDF uses non-free fonts.

Hmmm, now it is getting interesting. Do we consider FREE also the LAYOUT
of a document????

Ie it is necessary to recreate the *VERY SAME DOCUMENT*, even from the
layouts point of view, on any system?

I would say no, because everyone can reUSE the text in any way, and he
can recreate the same layout by buying fonts, but it is not necessary to
reuse the text, change the layout etc.

So this is no contradiction for me to DFSG.

> > To add one: pdftex-a.pdf is GFDL/Debian, so we shold get the source of
> > it and should be able to distribute it, too.
>
> teTeX does contain the sources:

Good.

NYBSTER (n.)
Sort of person who takes the lift to travel one floor.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff