Re: Please update debconf PO translation for the package tex-common

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 09:10 +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
> Helge Kreutzmann <kreutzm@itp.uni-hannover.de> wrote:
>
> > I understood (and translated) that no user account is assigned to the
> > "users" group by default, however, it could also mean, that the user
> > acount "nobody" is assigned to this group (but I decided for the first
> > interpretation from the context). Maybe you should clarify this
> > sentence in the next update.
>
> Err, that's exactly what we did in the second request for translation.
> Or do you think that in
>
> "Note that on a Debian system, nobody is member of the \"users\" group by "
> "default, so local users have to be added manually!"
>
> "nobody" is still ambiguous?

One can still read this sentence with the meaning nobody='user
"nobody"', although it doesn't make much sense.¹ But somebody who is not
very fluent in english might get confused.

> We could change it to "no one", but I'd rather only do that when we've
> got to change something else, anyway.

I would vote for this solution.

cheerio
ralf

1 From the logical point of view it is a true statement, though. The
  user 'nobody' is not member of the group 'users' by default, hence the
  first statement is wrong. And one can infer anything starting from a
  wrong statement ... ;-)