Re: Debian and texdoc

Danai SAE-HAN (韓達耐) <danai.sae-han@skynet.be> wrote:

>> There's a version of texdoctk in the making that will allow packages to
>> add their additional *.dat files.
>
> Great.  But will it be flexible enough for a few dozen of these files?
> I.e., will the numbering/... scheme be sufficient?

texdoctk doesn't rely on the order AFAIK, so this should work with an
arbitrary number of files.

> So we have three documentation systems: helpindex.html (with mkhtml;
> it seems to scan the docdir for document files, and then adds the file
> "helpfile" to helpindex.html), texdoc and texdoctk.  And apparently
> there is also texdoc.php with /u/s/d/texmf/tdphp/, which seems to use
> the texdoctk files.

Yes, texdoc.php has only been added with teTeX-3.0, and the name *is*
confusing; but it's hard to find a better one:  The real problem is that
texdoctk sounds like a frontend to texdoc, while it is in fact something
different.  And texdoc.php is just a different frontend to texdoctk's
data...

> That's quite confusing for me.

It is.

> Are there also initiatives to create just one system of displaying
> documents?

I'm not aware of this, but I didn't follow the discussions on the
texlive list.