Re: Debian and texdoc

Hi Frank!

> > How do I add documents to texdoc "the Debian way"?
> > Do I just do
> > "dh_link -platex-cjk usr/share/doc/latex-cjk usr/share/doc/texmf/latex/latex-cjk"
> Yes, that will work.

"texdoc -s cjk" works.
Are packages allowed to modify /etc/texdoctk/texdoctk.dat if teTeX is
installed?  On TeXlive, there is a line for the CJK package under
"@Extended Systems":
  cjk;Typesetting Chinese/Japanese/Korean (CJK);latex/CJK/doc/CJK.txt;

> > And what about the entry points?  Some of the filenames have general
> > names ("commands.txt", "fdxfiles.txt", "ruby.txt" and so on), so I
> > would like to add a more sensible and descriptive names.  I could also
> > do "dh_link origname bettername", but would prefer the original names.
> This is a general problem with LaTeX documentation, and there are at
> least discussion how this could be resolved generally.  For the time
> being, the usual approach is to do nothing, and to teach users to use
> "texdoc -s <keyword>".

I see.  If I may suggest a system?  Let's make a
/etc/texdoctk/texdoctk.d/ directory with 010guides_and_tutorials,
020fundamentals, 030macro_programming, etc. (number ends with 0 so it
would be on top of each section when the computer sorts the list; or
it could be a hyphen; I clearly haven't thought this through enough).

In my case, there would 220extended_systems and my own 22latex-cjk
with a few entries.  220extended_systems would contain "@Extended
Systems", 22latex-cjk would contain lines with e.g. CJK.txt and
commands.txt, 22latex-cjk-thai would contain thaifonts.txt, etc.
update-texdoctk would then concatenate all the files into a single
texdoctk.dat file.

> > BTW, shouldn't mkhtml be executable?  Perhaps you could add something
> > like this in debian/rules:
> >   chmod +x mkhtml
> >   dh_strip --exclude=mkhtml
> I've played with it, but to really make sense we need some way to
> integrate documentation found in other TEXMF trees.  And we should use
> mkhtml.nawk.

So we use mkhtml.nawk first, then sh mkhtml?

I see that .txt or .text files are not included when helpfile.html is
created, but "man 1 texdoc" refers to "$TEXDOCVIEW_txt" where a text
viewer can be configured.  So can .txt and .txt.gz be added to the
list of mkhtml.nawk?  Or is it left out because of MIME (browsers
might not know what to do with .txt or .txt.gz files)?

Best regards