Re: Debian and texdoc

Hi Thomas,

I'm cc'ing you because here are some suggestions for texdoctk in the
second half of the mail.

Danai SAE-HAN (韓達耐) <danai.sae-han@skynet.be> wrote:

> Hi Frank!
>
>> > How do I add documents to texdoc "the Debian way"?
>> > Do I just do
>> > "dh_link -platex-cjk usr/share/doc/latex-cjk usr/share/doc/texmf/latex/latex-cjk"
>> Yes, that will work.
>
> "texdoc -s cjk" works.
> Are packages allowed to modify /etc/texdoctk/texdoctk.dat if teTeX is
> installed?

No, it's a conffile (how did we manage that?  Hasn't it been a
ucf-managed file previously?).

> On TeXlive, there is a line for the CJK package under
> "@Extended Systems":
>   cjk;Typesetting Chinese/Japanese/Korean (CJK);latex/CJK/doc/CJK.txt;

Yes, since cjk is part of texlive, but not of teTeX.

There's a version of texdoctk in the making that will allow packages to
add their additional *.dat files.

>> > And what about the entry points?  Some of the filenames have general
>> > names ("commands.txt", "fdxfiles.txt", "ruby.txt" and so on), so I
>> > would like to add a more sensible and descriptive names.  I could also
>> > do "dh_link origname bettername", but would prefer the original names.
>> This is a general problem with LaTeX documentation, and there are at
>> least discussion how this could be resolved generally.  For the time
>> being, the usual approach is to do nothing, and to teach users to use
>> "texdoc -s <keyword>".
>
> I see.  If I may suggest a system?  Let's make a
> /etc/texdoctk/texdoctk.d/ directory with 010guides_and_tutorials,
> 020fundamentals, 030macro_programming, etc. (number ends with 0 so it
> would be on top of each section when the computer sorts the list; or
> it could be a hyphen; I clearly haven't thought this through enough).

We are talking about different problems here - I was talking about
texdoc, you are talking about texdoctk.  Both work differently -
texdoctk has a fixed database, currently consisting of texdoctk.dat,
possibly expandable by your or a different mechanism.  texdoc, on the
other hand, uses kpathsea to find documentation files available on the
system, and there's no easy way out of there are two files in different
directories with the common name "manual.pdf".

> In my case, there would 220extended_systems and my own 22latex-cjk
> with a few entries.  220extended_systems would contain "@Extended
> Systems", 22latex-cjk would contain lines with e.g. CJK.txt and
> commands.txt, 22latex-cjk-thai would contain thaifonts.txt, etc.
> update-texdoctk would then concatenate all the files into a single
> texdoctk.dat file.

I don't think that update-texdoctk is the way to go - it would require
an additional executable, while AFAIK Thomas has already the
infrastructure in place to let texdoctk read multiple data files.