Re: Error upgrading tetex-extra (experimental)

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> writes:

> Ralf Stubner <Ralf.Stubner@physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
>
>> For the end of '3.3 Font installation' in tetex-bin's README.Debian:
>
> Thank you very much!

You are welcome.

>> in $TEXMFCONFIG, which is set to $HOME/.texmf-config by default. An
>> appropriate place would be $TEXMFCONFIG/web2c/updmap.d. Note that most
>> likely you will have to create this directory first. In step c), one
>> then calls "update-updmap" as
>>
>> $ update-updmap --conf-dir $HOME/.texmf-config/web2c/updmap.d \
>>                 --output-file $HOME/.texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg
>
> Shouldn't the output file go to VARTEXMF,
> i.e. $HOME/.texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg?  Maybe it's also a good idea to
> mention the "kpathsea" names of the directories,
> i.e. TEXMFCONFIG/web2c/updmap.d  and TEXMFVAR/web2c.  By the way, why
> not put updmap.d directly in TEXMCONFIG/updmap.d?

Valid points. I mainly described my system here, which seems to have
acquired some history. :-) At one time I had a updmap.cfg which was
edited by hand in TEXMFCONFIG and simply kept using that after I learned
about the possibilities of update-updmap. That also explains why I used
TEXMFCONFIG/web2c/updmap.d. It simply looks odd to me having the 'foo.d'
directory at a different level than 'foo.cfg'. But that doesn't matter
if they are in completly different places to begin with. Another try at
this part:

----------------------------
In step a), copy all relevant files to the appropriate subdirectories in
$TEXMFHOME. The configuration file created in step b) schould be placed
in $TEXMFCONFIG ($HOME/.texmf-config by default). An appropriate place
would be $TEXMFCONFIG/updmap.d. Note that most likely you will have to
create this directory first. In step c), one then calls "update-updmap"
to create updmap.cfg in $TEXMFVAR/web2c ($HOME/.texmf-var/web2c by
default):

$ update-updmap --conf-dir $HOME/.texmf-config/updmap.d \
                --output-file $HOME/.texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg

This creates $HOME/.texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg based on the
configuration files in $HOME/.texmf-config/updmap.d *and* in
/etc/texmf/updmap.d. If a file exists in both directories, the version
in $TEXMFCONFIG takes precedence. After updating the ls-R files with
"mktexlsr" or "texhash" (step d), one has to generate the map files in
step e). This is done by running the program "updmap" instead of
"updmap-sys".
----------------------------

>> This creates $HOME/.texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg based on the
>> configuration files in $HOME/.texmf-config/web2c/updmap.d *and* in
>> /etc/texmf/updmap.d.
>
> "If a file exists in both directories, the version in TEXMFCONFIG takes
> precedence".
>
>> Merging the configuration files is done on the basis of file names:
>> All files in $HOME/.texmf-config/web2c/updmap.d are used. Those files in
>> /etc/texmf/updmap.d are used, for which there exists no equally named
>> file in $HOME/.texmf-config/web2c/updmap.d.
>
> Ah, I didn't anticipate this.

???

Your sentence above describes everything I wanted to say in that last
paragraph. So I would simply leave out this last paragraph.

cheerio
ralf