Re: teTeX and TeX Live interoperability

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 21:31 +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
>
> > Fortunately, the *-sys programs don't read many configurations files,
> > and things like updmap.cfg are auto-generated anyway (but see #334747).
> > However, map files could be problematic. BTW, I am not sure why somebody
> > would want to shadow a map file, but then, I am don't understand why map
> > files are config files in the first place. ;-)
>
> Not that I am an expert in this - but the bottom line is that if you
> want to configure the download options (or, in other words, embedding of
> fonts into ps/pdf ) on a per-font-basis, there is no way but to change
> the map files.

Agreed. Although I would change renamed copies of the map files and
alter the updmap.cfg snippets accordingly. That way I stand a change of
remembering what and why I changed something. :-) But that is probably a
matter of personal style.

> I think the main place for configuration is and will be /etc/.  Only if
> a file is not in /etc/texmf, you put an updated version into
> /usr/local/texmf or TEXMFHOME.

That's ok for the local admin. Packages would have more problems. But
then I see no reason why some package should want to shadow/change a map
file.

> Therefore I do not think that this is a
> problem, although it might be an inconvenience and require some
> documentation.  But maybe not even that - the change to use
> TEXMFSYSCONFIG=/etc/texmf/... would bring us nearer to upstream (both
> texlive and teTeX), and we could probably more rely on their
> documentation and less on debian-specific texts.

That would be good, of course. However, I am not sure if that would be
possible since TEXMFSYSCONFIG in Debian would be used for more than in
standard teTeX. For example, TETEXDOC mentiones only (changed)
configuration files for the *-sys programs:

,----[ TETEXDOC ]
| TEXMFSYSCONFIG
| The tree specified by this variable will be used by the utilities
| texconfig-sys, updmap-sys and fmtutil-sys to store modified
| configuration data.
`----

Looking into TEXMFSYSCONFIG of my selfcompiled teTeX 3, it contains
only three files

ls-R
dvips/config/config.ps
web2c/updmap.cfg

Some documentation on the things specific for Debian will probably still
be needed.

cheerio
ralf