Re: teTeX and TeX Live interoperability

Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@web.de> wrote:

> One could try to differentiate between those files in /etc/texmf that
> are effectively placed in some TEXMF tree via links (eg, /etc/texmf/map
> and /etc/texmf/latex) and files in places like /etc/texmf/updmap.d etc.
> For the former, one could introduce an additional directory level in
> /etc/texmf:
>

> Link location:                         File location:
>
> /usr/share/texmf-teTeX/tex/latex/...   /etc/texmf/teTeX/latex
> /usr/share/texmf-TeXLive/tex/latex/... /etc/texmf/TeXLive/latex
> /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/...         /etc/texmf/latex

This would be easier if we simply used
TEXMFSYSCONFIG=/etc/texmf/{TeXLive,teTeX} (in the same order as in
TEXMFDIST).  I wanted to test and/or discuss this, anyway, because it
would make some things easier, and more along upstream's setup.  I only
hesitated because I was unsure whether any files that we didn't want to
be found directly would maybe be found by kpathsea.

In this setup, we still have the problem: Where can other TeX-related
packages put their configuration files?

- Either they install normal files into TEXMFMAIN and create symlinks to
  places in /etc/texmf/ (Not {TeXLive,teTeX}),

- or they install normal files into TEXMFSITE *always* and put
  configuration files into /etc/texmf/texmf-site.