Re: dh_installtexfonts is ready for testing

Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@web.de> wrote:

> Before discussing a suitable default value, I think I have to ask a
> (maybe stupid) question first: What is the use of these priorities? Or,
> in other words, to what extend does the order in updmap.cfg matter.

Not at all from (Mixed)Map lines.  It's just cosmetics to make the
generated updmap.cfg a little more readable (first the tex-common
"download_..." snippet, then base packages, then others).

> With respect to map files, I don't see any indication how the order in
> updmap.cfg would matter. In catMaps() all the mapfile names are sorted
> alphabetically to remove duplicates. Hence the final order seems to
> depend on the naming of the map files and not on the order in
> updmap.cfg. If a mapfile is mentioned both as 'Map' and 'MixedMap' its
> content will appear in all generated map files (and twice in some map
> files).

... which can also occur if both entries are in one file.

> Overall, I see no reason for specifying a priority for files in
> /etc/texmf/updmap.d, as long as they only install further mapfiles. So I
> would suggest $priority="" as default. But I might be missing something.

^[[:alpha:]] will be after ^99[[:alpha:]] (and more importantly after
00updmap.cfg) when update-updmap handles them, won't it?  So having no
number wouldn't be a bug, right?

Still I think it might look "cleaner" if every file started with a
number, even if it doesn't matter.