Re: dh_installtexfonts is ready for testing

Hi Norbert, hi all,

On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 23:09 +0200, Norbert Preining wrote:

> Well, I think we should settle for a recommendation for a priority.
> ALl the texlive packages ship 50, what does tetex ship? We should come
> up with a common notion how.

The teTeX packages ship 10tetex-base.cfg and 20tetex-extra.cfg while,
eg, lmodern ships 10lmodern.cfg. I have seen that you have meanwhile
implemented a variable priority with 10 being the default.

Before discussing a suitable default value, I think I have to ask a
(maybe stupid) question first: What is the use of these priorities? Or,
in other words, to what extend does the order in updmap.cfg matter.
There is an interesting comment about this in the TeX policy:

<footnote>
	  Note that in <file>texmf.cnf</file>, as well as in the
	  sequence of multiple <file>texmf.cnf</file> files that are
	  read, earlier entries override later ones.
<!-- Check what happens in fmtutil.cnf and updmap.cnf -->
	</footnote>

So let's see, to what extend order is relevant in updmap.cfg. With
respect to configuration values (LW35, dvipsPreferOutline, ...) I find
in updmap:

# cfgval(variable)
#   read variable ($1) from config file, first match wins

Here order is important. Configuration values are in 00updmap.cfg,
which will normally come first. This is fine.

With respect to map files, I don't see any indication how the order in
updmap.cfg would matter. In catMaps() all the mapfile names are sorted
alphabetically to remove duplicates. Hence the final order seems to
depend on the naming of the map files and not on the order in
updmap.cfg. If a mapfile is mentioned both as 'Map' and 'MixedMap' its
content will appear in all generated map files (and twice in some map
files).

Overall, I see no reason for specifying a priority for files in
/etc/texmf/updmap.d, as long as they only install further mapfiles. So I
would suggest $priority="" as default. But I might be missing something.

Concerning 'Map' vs 'MixedMap'. Since I don't have sid in my
sources.list, I still have cm-super version 0.3.3-6 installed. There
50cm-super.cfg contains only:

Map cm-super-t1.map

IMO it would be better to use MixedMap, since Metafont versions are
available and the local admin might want to use them. In addition, there
are several mapfiles missing. Something like

MixedMap cm-super-t1.map
MixedMap cm-super-ts1.map
MixedMap cm-super-t2a.map
MixedMap cm-super-t2b.map