Re: Font packages for teTeX

Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:

> Frank Küster wrote:
>> Ralf Stubner <Ralf.Stubner@physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
>>
>>> IMHO the problem is that TEXMFHOME is a per user variable. Hence,
>>> kpsewhich et al. look into /root/texmf/ among other directories, but not
>>> in *your* TEXMFHOME. I think you have to put *both* the updmap.cfg
>>> sniplets and the map files into /etc/texmf/, such that both are found
>>> when root runs update-updmap and updmap(-sys). You can leave the real
>>> fonts and metrics in TEXMFHOME, if you want to.
>>
>> This will only work on a system with only one user - the others have no
>> chance to actually access the map files referenced by the produced
>                                 ^^^ font?

Yes, all of them.

> ACK. I just tried the latter option with the fonts installed in my
> $HOME, and that works really well. I had used my own updmap.cfg before,
> which was a PIA to keep current. Thanks.

It's still inconvenient when you don't just add files, but keep updmap
snippets in your home directory that are changed versions of files in
/etc/texmf/updmap.d, and the packaged versions change.  It would be nice
if update-updmap would have a --show-diff option.  patches welcome.

> Installing  and especially uninstalling font packages for TeX is still
> difficult, though, since the relevant files are spread over many
> directories in the TEXMF tree.

Indeed.

> I have therefore thought about building
> .deb packages for some of the fonts I have installed. Some of them
> (Utopia + Fourier, LuxiMono, Garamond No. 8) could even be distributed,
> though they are not DFSG free. What would be a good starting place for
> such packages? Maybe the lmodern package?

I guess so; I have only once installed an additional font locally, once
upon a time, and don't remember...  Is fontinst needed, or do you just
take the files from CTAN?