Re: Use etex instead of tex?

Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de> writes:

> +e-TeX versus traditional Knuth TeX:
> +===================================
> +Since beginning of 2003 people are encouraged to use e-TeX instead of the

Since the beginning of 2003, people are encouraged to ...
      ^^^^                 ^

(And maybe say that it is the LaTeX3 team, rather than Debian who are
doing the encouragement, and say *why* they are telling us to use e-TeX)

> +traditional Knuth compiler. As of tetex-bin 2.0.2-xx /usr/bin/latex doesn't
> +point to /usr/bin/tex but rather to /usr/bin/etex (and /usr/bin/pdflatex to
> +/usr/bin/pdfetex). Further adaptions were made in fmtutil.cnf (or
> +say better
   ^^^^^^^^^^

"more precisely, to" sounds more natural than "say better"

> +/etc/texmf/fmt.d/00tetex.cnf). If you want to use the Knuth
> +compiler revert

I suggest you include a note to the effect that, by default,
(pdf)e(la)tex is fully compatible with (pdf)(la)tex so that old
documents will still be produce identical results.  Also a link to the
etex manual (/usr/share/doc/texmf/etex/base/etex-man.pdf.gz) would be
helpful, and instructions for using the original (pdf)(la)tex binary
for just a single run would help.

Finally "Knuth compiler" sounds like it is the compiler for the program
"Knuth", but I couldnt think of anything better...