Re: Use etex instead of tex?

Richard Lewis <debian@rtf.org.uk> wrote:

> Finally "Knuth compiler" sounds like it is the compiler for the program
> "Knuth", but I couldnt think of anything better...

Thank you for your suggestions; what about:

e-TeX versus traditional Knuth TeX:
===================================

Since the beginning of 2003, the LaTeX3 team encourages to use e-TeX
instead of the Knuth's traditional TeX compiler. As of tetex-bin
2.0.2-17 /usr/bin/latex doesn't point to /usr/bin/tex but rather to
/usr/bin/etex (and /usr/bin/pdflatex to /usr/bin/pdfetex). Further
adaptions were made in fmtutil.cnf (or, more precisely,
/etc/texmf/fmt.d/00tetex.cnf). If you want to use Knuth's compiler,
revert the changes there and modify the soft links in /usr/bin.

I would also suggest to put it at the beginning of README.Debian, so
that unstable/testing users find the new, important stuff easier. Before
sarge is released, we should try to rewrite README.Debian, anyway, IMO.

Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie