Re: Policy, updmap --enable and updmap.cfg in /etc or /var

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:

> I think we can just take /var/lib/tetex, with the $SAVED_CONFIG_FILE and
> $NO_CONFIG_FILE directly inside. Only packages that have a lot of them
> need to use subdirectories. Or do you fear that there may be name
> clashes? We could still prepend the package name to the config file
> name.

Yeah, that's a possibility... I like the idea of a per-package directory
because I think it's safer (bugs in maintainer scripts are less likely
to mess with files from other packages), it gives the maintainers a
"private area" where they can do what they need without having to fear
the file clash or accidental deletion by some other package, and I think
it looks slightly better to have:

  /var/lib/tetex/lmodern/10lmodern.cfg.saved

or

  /var/lib/tetex/lmodern/admin-wants-no-lmodern.cfg

or (if the computer crashes before the file gets renamed...):

  /var/lib/tetex/lmodern/10lmodern.cfg.tmp

than

/var/lib/tetex/10lmodern.cfg.saved
/var/lib/tetex/admin-wants-no-foobar.cfg
/var/lib/tetex/admin-wants-no-lmodern.cfg
/var/lib/tetex/foobar.saved
/var/lib/tetex/foobar.whatever
/var/lib/tetex/foobar.this_should_no_be_here_anymore_but_was_leftover

And perhaps you'll want to use /var/lib/tetex for the tetex packages and
will be happy that other maintainers dump their junk in its
subdirectories. :-)

I don't see much cost associated to the use of subdirectories, so I
think the small advantages listed above are worth it...

(what does it cost? 4 Kbytes on most filesystems? But how many font
packages do you think we are going to have?...)

--
Florent