Re: Policy, updmap --enable and updmap.cfg in /etc or /var

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:

> Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:
>
>> I'll try to followup on this next week-end. For the moment, I'll explain
>> the general ideas.

Well, I don't have a lot of time now, and I don't think it is very
useful to write a text eligible for Policy on this particular topic
before we have everything settled with tetex 3. So... I'll simply attach
the lmodern maintainer scripts with the comments removed (and one
placeholder explained) so that you can get an idea of the simplicity (or
complexity), of the process (there are many comments, so they make the
files much bigger than they really are). Of course, if you want more
info on the code, you have the versions with all the comments in your
/var/lib/dpkg/info or in the Debian archive.

There is nothing really specific to lmodern in there, except the name of
the config file (and it is a variable), so they can be considered as
templates for other font packages, if they want to manage the .cfg file
the same way.

> What will happen when you need to change your 10lmodern.cfg, because
> there's an additional map file or so? Just diff'ing, or use ucf?

I don't know yet. Problably ucf, but I'll have to actually read its
documentation to be sure it does what I need. Given the contents of the
file, it is not likely to change soon or often (in fact, this assumption
was somewhat defeated because the *comments* I had put there to help
users had to be updated recently... grmbl...).

--
Florent