Re: tetex-bin: formats not build [solved]

On 03.02.04 Jérémie Knuesel (elendur@freesurf.ch) wrote:

Hi,

> Surprinsigly enough, the problem was solved with the following
> command: apt-get install -t testing fileutils

drachi:~# apt-cache show fileutils |tail -3
 Empty package to facilitate upgrades, can be safely removed.

drachi:~#

Hmmm.

> When Frank Küster sent me a copy of omxcmex.fd, which I saved in my
> home directory, it appeared that the file was not listed by a
> simple 'ls' command. However it could be seen with nautilus, mc...
> Also, the 'ls' command had been displaying a boring message for
> some days:
>
> ls: unrecognized prefix: do
> ls: unparsable value for LS_COLORS environment variable.
>
> And the colours were indeed not working.
>
> All these problems (and the problem of tetex-base/bin and the
> formats too) were solved when I installed a new version of
> fileutils:

What version of Debian are you running? stable, unstable, testing?

drachi:~# dpkg -S /bin/ls
coreutils: /bin/ls
drachi:~#

> suddenly the missing file appeared in
> /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/ (there was no need to copy Frank's
> file). It seems that for some reason, the system was only partly
> able to find this one file, precisely! Maybe it also explains why
> "kpsewhich omxcmex.fd" only found the file when the current
> directory was /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base ...

Well, were your ls-R files perhaps empty? And yes, that can be
explained by an non-working ls.

> Now if someone has an idea of what was going on... I hope it was
> not a side effect of a malicious rootkit!

Well -- I hope not, but what made your ls to stop working?

Hilmar

P.S.: All output from a testing system as of August 2003.
--
<RoboHak> hmm, lunch does sound like a good idea
<Knghtbrd> would taste like a good idea too