Re: Instal failiures on a Macintosh LC475

Stephen R Marenka wrote:

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 11:59:44AM -0700, Yan Seiner wrote:

Partman never lets me create any partitions. It chokes on "Detecting file systems" or something similar. It hangs; I can ping the machine on the network but otherwise it appears dead. I can type at the keyboard and characters appears on the screen.

I didn't know how to change ttys (I do now) so I can't post log info... I will test tonight or tomorrow and see if I can provide better info.

Did you confirm that you don't have one of the problematic 68LC040s? I
had to swap mine out before the system was stable for any length of
time.

OK, I have identified a possible cause for partman hanging.... The ramdisk fills up. When it hangs, the ramdisk is 95% full. So I increased the size of the ramdisk by 1 MB (redid initrd to be 14 MB and changed the ramdisk_settings as well as the kernel command line).

It hung again, with 95% of the ramdisk full....

Any places to look?  Can anyone else confirm this?

--Yan