Re: Sarge freezes

Carl Fink schrieb:
On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 05:20:48PM +0200, Christoph Bier wrote:

Can somebody give me a hint where to start searching? It's not a
special application that freezes Sarge, it happens accidentally:
using Mozilla, Emacs, xterm, gnome-panel ... and even the terminal
without X running.

My first instinct is to suspect hardware.  Try booting a
Knoppix/Gnoppix/bootable CD distro of your choice and see if that freezes. If it does, it's probably hardware, not software. If not, you can use the
CD-based distro to back up your hard drive.

Yes, that's what I've already done later after Ubuntu froze on the same machine, too. I tried Knoppix and that froze, too. Strange, because I had the same problem over the last 1 1/2 years with always new hardware. Mainboard and RAM was bought at the beginning of this year and the problem disappeared (assumed). And now the same happens again. This is the sixth mainboard in 1 1/2 years! I never had such problems all the years before (also with Debian). Very strange ...

Thanks for your answer,
	Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://www.zvisionwelt.de/typokurz.pdf (1.3a)