Re: Sarge freezes

Roberto C. Sanchez schrieb:
On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 04:35:37PM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 05:20:48PM +0200, Christoph Bier wrote:

Can somebody give me a hint where to start searching? It's not a
special application that freezes Sarge, it happens accidentally:
using Mozilla, Emacs, xterm, gnome-panel ... and even the terminal
without X running.

My first instinct is to suspect hardware.  Try booting a
Knoppix/Gnoppix/bootable CD distro of your choice and see if that freezes. If it does, it's probably hardware, not software. If not, you can use the
CD-based distro to back up your hard drive.

Also, If you are going to the trouble of breaking a *noppix CD, be sure
and run memtest86 (available from the boot menu) to rule out a possible
bad memory module.

Yes, I'll check this, too. I've done so some months ago, but I will do it again.

Thanks for your answer,
	Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://www.zvisionwelt.de/typokurz.pdf (1.3a)