Sarge freezes

Hi all!

Actually I wanted to submit an upgrade report today from an almost
perfect upgrade I made a few weeks ago. But then today Sarge freezes
 constantly. I made a dist-upgrade in the morning where IMHO only
unsuspicious packages were upgraded: all mozilla related packages,
where mozilla-enigmail and mozilla-locale-de-at were removed,
evolution and some libs whose names I don't remember. I'm sorry,
that I didn't annotate the names of all upgraded packages (as I
usually do using the testing tree), but I was in a hurry and
distracted by my work (else I wouldn't have agreed to remove enigmail).

I don't have any idea where to search for the problem. The log files
don't say anything. After freezing mouse and keyboard are dead and
even the network is down, so I have to do a hard reset. Sarge also
freezes if X is not running, even in runlevel 1. One problem at the
moment is the fact, that I can not synchronize my desktop with my
laptop, because the desktop freezes along the way. So I can not
transfer the files I'm working on at present to my laptop, what's a
worst case scenario; I'm a little bit desperate and stumped.

Can somebody give me a hint where to start searching? It's not a
special application that freezes Sarge, it happens accidentally:
using Mozilla, Emacs, xterm, gnome-panel ... and even the terminal
without X running.

System:
Duron 1100MHz
512 MB DDR-RAM
Graphic: GeForce2 GTS/Pro
Abit KV7 (VIA KT600/8237)

Best regards,
	Christoph

PS: Until today I didn't observe any instability with Sarge.