Re: Upgrading to kernel 2.6.8 with RAID 1 on SATA

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 05:38:16PM +1000, Paul Gear wrote:
> xerces8 wrote:
> > From: Paul Gear <paul@gear.dyndns.org>
> > Are the (lib)ata drivers in the initramdisk ? (are the disks detected by kernel?)
>
> Yes - see the /dev/sd[ab] devices appear in the list, it's just that
> mdadm is still looking for the RAID members on /dev/hd[eg].
>
> I would have thought this would be an FAQ, since *everyone* who
> installed on RAID on SATA drives before the drivers were converted to
> libata would be affected.

when I had the problem, then I saw, that in the md record there is a reference
to the drives which are used to build the device:

root@wspk:~# mdadm --examine /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1:
[...]
      Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
this     1       8        1        1      active sync   /dev/.static/dev/sda1

   0     0       8       17        0      active sync   /dev/.static/dev/sdb1
   1     1       8        1        1      active sync   /dev/.static/dev/sda1

What is the output of mdadm --examine on your system, when you have booted using only one part of a mirror?

Philipp

--
A byte walks into a bar and orders a pint. Bartender asks him "What's wrong?"
Byte says "Parity error." Bartender nods and says "Yeah, I thought you looked