Upgrading to kernel 2.6.8 with RAID 1 on SATA

Hi folks,

I've been tracking sarge since about last August, pulling in security
fixes and a few assortments from sid.  When i installed the machine it
used a kernel prior to 2.6.8, and my Silicon Image 3112 SATA controller
was used in ATA emulation mode, so my main filesystem was created to
look like this (from /proc/mdstat):

md2 : active raid1 hde6[0] hdg6[1]
      190474560 blocks [2/2] [UU]

On kernel 2.6.8 and later, the SATA drivers use libata and thus are
discovered as /dev/sd[ab] instead of /dev/hd[eg].  If i boot using the
latest kernel image from either sarge or sid, it panics because it can't
find the root filesystem (presumably due to not being able to find
/dev/hd[eg]).

How can i fix this situation?  I thought i remembered that there was a
way to discover all RAID partitions on all recognised devices, but i've
no idea how to do it.  Another option would be to reinstall using the
latest installer, which uses 2.6.8, but i don't want to lose my current
system.  I have a standard ATA drive in this machine as well - could i
install on that and somehow update the metadata on md2 to enable it to
find the root filesystem correctly?

Thanks,
Paul
<http://paulgear.webhop.net>
--
Did you know?  Microsoft Internet Explorer and Outlook have a poor track
record for security <http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/713878>.  Why not