Re: Upgrading to kernel 2.6.8 with RAID 1 on SATA

xerces8 wrote:
> From: Paul Gear <paul@gear.dyndns.org>
>
>>RAID 1 on /boot is not actually the problem, its RAID 1 on /.  /boot
>>seems to work fine for some reason (perhaps it's only using the
>>underlying copy on the first drive).
>

> GRUB (or LILO) does not use the kernel to load stuff, so it is unaffected
> by the ATA/libata change.
>
> Are your RAID partitions of type 'autodetect' ? (fdisk -l)

Yes

> Are the (lib)ata drivers in the initramdisk ? (are the disks detected by kernel?)

Yes - see the /dev/sd[ab] devices appear in the list, it's just that
mdadm is still looking for the RAID members on /dev/hd[eg].

I would have thought this would be an FAQ, since *everyone* who
installed on RAID on SATA drives before the drivers were converted to
libata would be affected.

--
Paul
<http://paulgear.webhop.net>