Re: How can sarge survive a Windows reinstall?

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 09:53:04AM -0600, Ben Franske wrote:
> Why don't you boot in rescue mode, suggested some time ago, using a
> woody cd? The flavor of the boot software is inconsequential as long as
> it can read your hard drive filesystem and execute the grub program. You
> could use a really old boot floppy image, a Knoppix live cd, a Ubuntu
> live cd, or just about anything else that boots linux and lets you mount
> your hard drive.
>
> -Ben

It's a sad story.  I managed to boot from the second woody CD -- I seemed
to remember that was the one for rescue, and, yes, it booted, and rescue
was on it, but when I entered rescue root=/dev/hda3 the screen went blank.

I have been unable to boot the machine since.  It powers up and blinks a
few lights, then goes dead.  It used to identify itself as running a bios
and discovering its devices on power up, but now it does nothing.
The screen stays black.  I'm pretty sure it never gets around to even
reading any of the boot devices.

It'll be a while before I get to try to use any rescue methods again.
The problem has not been solved; it has just been superseded by an
other one.

-- hendrik.