Re: How can sarge survive a Windows reinstall?

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 04:03:44PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 04:18:44PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 07:10:59AM +1100, David Pastern wrote:
> > > Hendrik,
> > >
> > > My suggestion is to boot off Installer disk #1,
> >
> > Will the netinstall disk do?  Or does it have to be disk #1 of the full
> > sarge CD distribution?
> Yes, the netinstall is fine, as is anything else that has a kernel
> which will accept a root= parameter.

Just for a lark I tried to use the rescue pricedure you mentioned *before*
I installed Windows, and glad I did.  I booted the CD labelled
	debian testing netinstall 20050201
which my son recently used to install Debian on his machine.

Evidently I still don't understand something, because when I entered
	rescue root=/dev/hda3
at the boot: prompt, I was told:
	Could not find kernel image: rescue

Do I need to specify something other than "rescue" on Debian installers?
Maybe Debian is different from Libranet?  Or do I need the first CD
of the thirteen-odd CD installer?

-- hendrik

> > > and rather than start an
> > > install, type:
> > >
> > > rescue root=/dev/hd*
> > >
> > > where * of course is where your kernel resides.  Shouldn't matter which
> > > one.  Here is a bit more information:
> > >
> > > http://forum.libranet.com/viewtopic.php?t=5485
> The kernel is on the cd, root= specifies the root partition, which
> needs to have /etc/, /bin/, etc (pun intended).

-- hendrik