Re: How can sarge survive a Windows reinstall?

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 04:37:51PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:33:23AM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > >
> > > Just for a lark I tried to use the rescue pricedure you mentioned *before*
> > > I installed Windows, and glad I did.  I booted the CD labelled
> > > 	debian testing netinstall 20050201
> > > which my son recently used to install Debian on his machine.
> > >
> > > Evidently I still don't understand something, because when I entered
> > > 	rescue root=/dev/hda3
> > > at the boot: prompt, I was told:
> > > 	Could not find kernel image: rescue
> > >
> > > Do I need to specify something other than "rescue" on Debian installers?
> > > Maybe Debian is different from Libranet?  Or do I need the first CD
> > > of the thirteen-odd CD installer?
> >
> > You only need one CD; the 1MB kernel image is all that gets used.  I
> > don't know, maybe it is called "rescdsk" or something .. pressing the
> > F1 through F8 keys should tell you all about it.
>
> sarge does not have a rescue mode. I've written one, but it's still a
> bit experimental and came too late for sarge.
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson@debian.org]

Thanks. Colin.  That message will saved me a lot of futile tries.

Now I have two questions.  First, an earlier one,

How do I make a sarge boot floppy?  I don't think I had that option
when I originally installed sarge long long ago.

and second, a new one,

Is the experimental one good enough to be worth trying on a sarge system residing
on an reiser file system?  After I reinstall Windows, the entire system should be intect except for the MBR ansuch.

-- hendrik