Re: How can sarge survive a Windows reinstall?

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 12:24:44PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 04:37:51PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:33:23AM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> >
> > sarge does not have a rescue mode. I've written one, but it's still a
> > bit experimental and came too late for sarge.
> >
> > --
> > Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson@debian.org]
>
> Thanks. Colin.  That message will saved me a lot of futile tries.
>
> Now I have two questions.  First, an earlier one,
>
> How do I make a sarge boot floppy?  I don't think I had that option
> when I originally installed sarge long long ago.

I managed to use mkboot to make a boot floppy.  Unfortunately. it doesn't work.
I gather from the kernel panic that it can't read my root partition.
HGowever, the root partition is perfectly readablw when I boot form the BMR
on my hard disk.

This is ridiculous.  Is it really impossible boot a sarge system after the MBR
has been clobbered -- without a complete reinstall?
Everything I've tried so far has failed.

-- hendrik