Re: larry

David Schmitt wrote:

On Monday 28 February 2005 12:54, Michael Stone wrote:
On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 04:13:30PM +0100, David Schmitt wrote:
Yes and exactly that is the point why debian-installer rules, and the
windows installer sucks.
Yes and no. Take the new partitioner, for example. Yes, it lets you do
more than the old partitioner, but if you think it's intuitive you're
nuts.

Again we are falling on every one experience. I just loved it. Why, not a clue, I used it as if I had made it..

And not only is it not intuitive, it's different than anything
anyone's used to partition things in debian before. So while it's more
friendly for new users, it's like a martian to an experienced user who's
comfortable with fdisk.
I was., thought I still am comfortable with fdisk. Not as latter as this afternoon, I had to format a windows xp harddrive because of a nasty virus, that survived a format from a xp install disk. So back to this old Windows 98 to format the HD using fdiskand format. I knew it, but it took me at least 15 mn before I got it to run... It isn't any longer intuitive to me... Why, not a clue again.

There are no intuitive interfaces. Only some are already familiar.
So true..

That said, I have to admit, that I installed several systems before I felt that I mastered partman. Now I _can_ setup LVM and RAID with the same tool that needs one or two keypresses if I accept the defaults. The first point is major karma for the installer for me as power-admin, the latter is even more major karma for me as lazy-admin. Microsoft has solved the partitioning problem by selling PCs preconfigured. Their installer _forces_ you to partition your disk.

My idea of it was that Micosoft products were so dump that they could not adapt to any other environment than something clean, and so forcise you to clean up the space. Nothing than Debian people should try to match.

With d-i I choose "free space" and "mumble mumble (recommended for new users)" and I'm done!

Regards, David