Re: testing currently unusable ?

Richard Lamont wrote:

Debian is producing a perfectly good stable desktop OS, IMHO. It just isn't
producing the apps to run on it. I have to get these somewhere else.

The underlying problem is the inflexibility of the release system. Debian
needs a more fine-grained concept of what 'stable' means. The present policy
makes sense for the OS, but it seems too restrictive for apps that sit on
top of the OS and don't have stuff dependent on them.

This is exactly what I meant with my previous post. Splitting the distro into a basic OS and apps that are geared toward different audiences would be a way around this. Stability, security and continuity is most important to server systems. Newest application releases is most important to desktop systems. By adding a field to packages, which audience the package is geared could help. For server stuff today's strict policy is most useful. But for desktop / workstation stuff it is rather hindering.

I know, this is a topic that gets discussed every summer or so. But rethinking policies and procedures is most important for every project.

Regards

Marcel