testing currently unusable ?

Hello,

Is the current state of "testing" really THAT bad ?

I like the debian distribution very much and I tell its advantages very
often to my friends - and to my girlfriend.

I wantet to install some software for my girlfriend. Well, today I
disgraced myself with debian.

Of course, I did an apt-get update before the following procedure.

I tried to install kde for her: it is not possible because:
>Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>  kde: Depends: kdebase-audiolibs but it is not going to be installed
>  or              kdebase3-audiolibs but it is not installable
>E: Sorry, broken packages

Today,  this bug is 72 days old
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=pkg&data=kdebase-au
diolibs&archive=no). I told very often, that debian is very fast with
removing bugs...

Ok, since I do not stick to kde, I wanted to install gnome instead. I
told many times how easy it is to install new software using apt. But:

>Package gnome has no available version, but exists in the database.
>This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
>never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the
contents>of sources.list
>.E: Package gnome has no installation candidate

Hmm. I tried to use tasksel to install gnome:
>E: Package task-gnome-desktop has no installation candidate

The same error came for every gnome task I tried. I tried to do the work
manually: I cut-n-pasted the packages from the tasksel info window to
the console to install them via apt-get. The essence of the result:

>Package gnome-terminal has no available version,
>Package gmc has no available version, but exists in the database
>Package gnome-faq has no available version, but exists in the database.
>Package eeyes has no available version, but exists in the database.

Shall I go on ? I would understand this if I hadn't made an apt-get
update before. But I had.

Oh, yes, I nearly forgot this: I was showing my girlfriend how to write
EMails with sylpheed. I like this client very much, but some very simple
questions by my girlfriend showed me how many bugs/missing features
version 0.7.4-4 has. I would like to install a newer version and there
really IS a big version step availiable. But Version 0.9.3-1 still did
not make it into testing. I would like to try balsa instead, but you
know how the result of installing gnome was...

In the end, after three years of using debian as a professional, I am
very sad about the current state of debian testing...

--
Markus Grunwald

Registered Linux User Nr 101577
http://counter.li.org