Re: testing currently unusable ?

Mario Domgörgen wrote:
> Is there a special reason not use stable? New version of sylpheed should
> be easy to backport or to compile with stow as any other desktop
> enviroment.

This is a flawed argument. If debian is only useful for people who can either 1) run unstable, or 2) backport all applications they need, then we fail our social contract.

Just because you and I may be comfortable running unstable or mixed enviroments does not mean this is not a problem for a large number of users.

> I find it a bit strange (not only of you, as i hear of
> seomtehing like that every second or third day) to install testing or
> even unstable to not experienced linux or debian users....

Then what what should they do? Debian currently has nothing to offer non-developers who want to run linux on their desktop. Stable is so out of date as to be virtually useless for desktop use.

The fact that many people find themselves forced to run debian against recommended practice is a clear symptom of a system error. Fixing the symptom (telling users to run stable and backport applications themselves) does not fix the flaw.

PS. Anyone responding with the idiotic knee-jerk "don't whine, fix it yourself" will get a virtual slapping.

--
Björn