installation report: sony camv/m picturebook

I installed Debian on a sony camv/m picturebook (crusoe prosessor) using
the netinst cd image from
http://people.debian.org/~blade/XFS-Install/download/3.0.22cvs-22.03.2002/
(I wanted a 2.4 kernel.)

After booting with some kernel parameters specific to this model of
picturebook (the 2.4 kernel has a bug that makes it misinitialize the
hard drive by default..), I ran through the install. Not much to report,
all of it cosmetic:

- The language chooser seems to default to Castillian Spanish, which
  is sorta odd, since I'd expect it to default to a more common language
  (iirc this spanish dialect is from a small region of Spain). I'm not
  going to comment on the choice of a default language, aside from that
  I think it should be one of the top 5.

- There are no line drawing craracters around the dialog boxes in
  dbootstrap, instead it uses things like "----". Perhaps this is due to the
  slang-utf8 and the frame buffer console. In any event, it doesn't look
  to great.

- Frambuffer was dog slow, especially at scrolling. On the other hand,
  seeing the chinese in the language chooser was sorta cool.

- In base-config, after initial welcome, a little thing appears at the
  bottom of the screen about loading console keymap, should >/dev/null
  There were a couple more places in base-config where I need to
  redirect extraneous info to /dev/null.

- The eximconfig that base-config is forced to use looks really
  unprofessional since it doesn't use debconf. But I knew that. :-(

I skipped tasksel, and entered dselect breifly after setting up a local
mirror. Looks like gnupg and ssh are installed by default now, which is
way cool. No other problems to report aside from dodgey kernel issues
on this hardware.

--
see shy jo