Re: dselect/dpkg

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Sharkey wrote:

> > I am going to write a script that will parse the install scripts and tell
> > me if _every_ file that a particular package installs is installed.  If so
> > I will check it by hand.  If it is indeed installed, I'll change the
> > status file hand.  This seems easier than a full re-install and will at
> > least give the peace of mind that dpkg has a clue as to what's on the
> > system.
>
> Before you do this, you might want to take a look at the cruft package,
> which I think may only be in potato, I'm not sure and too lazy to check.
> It's not fully stable yet.

I've got it installed but haven't had time to look it over.  I'll look
into it.

> Cruft doesn't really do what you want, but it might be a good starting point,
> rather than working completely from scratch.  Talk to the author and maybe
> the two of you can coordinate this effort.

Hmmmm...I don't know if my skills are quite THAT good ;) but I
will investigate your suggestions.  I do see a need for this kind of
script though - just switching servers (ex. ftp.debian.org
ftp1.us.debian.org) can wreak  havoc on dselect's/apt's perception of
what's installed (I stopped doing this month's ago).  A way to parse the
system to try and determine what's installed in case of catastrophic
(Luser, or otherwise ;) ) error can be nothing but a good thing.
Thanks man....

Roland