Re: dselect/dpkg

> I am going to write a script that will parse the install scripts and tell
> me if _every_ file that a particular package installs is installed.  If so
> I will check it by hand.  If it is indeed installed, I'll change the
> status file hand.  This seems easier than a full re-install and will at
> least give the peace of mind that dpkg has a clue as to what's on the
> system.

Before you do this, you might want to take a look at the cruft package,
which I think may only be in potato, I'm not sure and too lazy to check.
It's not fully stable yet.

Cruft doesn't really do what you want, but it might be a good starting point,
rather than working completely from scratch.  Talk to the author and maybe
the two of you can coordinate this effort.

Eric