Re: dselect/dpkg

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Feb 1999 09:50:37 -0800 (PST), rrr <rrr@infoquest.jeffnet.org> said:
> > I can't let this slide. ;) I do know what I'm doing (been using
> > Linux 4 or 5 years) - what I'm not entirely up to speed on is
> > Debian's package management system.
>
> Oh, I really didn't mean to impinge your skill or knowledge.

Well, I did some stupid stuff that day, but I do know linux - but not so
much debian.

> > a full reinstall - I'm wondering "what did I gain by switching from
> > Slackware?"
>
> Well, I understand that, but, you know, the dpkg status file *is*
> where this information is stored.

I feel foolish that it took me 3 hours to figure that out, after using
debian for a year or something.  Is there a set of docs that clearly
explains how dselect/apt does what it does?  I was not able to find this.
It's almost like this info is deemed too powerful for those not involved
in package maintainence/developement.  What this does, is make the system
seem deceptively simple (therefore forgiving) to the debian newbie.
> > I am going to write a script that will parse the install scripts
>>and > > tell me if _every_ file that a particular package installs is
> > installed.  If so I will check it by hand.  If it is indeed
> > installed, I'll change the status file hand.  This seems easier than
> > a full re-install and will at least give the peace of mind that dpkg
> > has a clue as to what's on the system.
>
>Yeah, so long as you get all the versions right.

Point well taken, although since I was at slink a couple of weeks ago I
should come up close (although slink does seem to rolling fast these days
;) ).  The thing is, is that without doing something like this I can't
even "back off" to stable and then "come up" to slink because the system
can't downgrade something it doesn't know exists.

>> Guess I didn't learn that lesson, eh? I don't learn when things
>> work right anyway - I learn by breaking then fixing stuff. <rofl>
>
> Yeah, me too.

The sign of a true unix junkie!  Thanks Adam.

Roland