kernel problems?

Hi,
I had another total slink upgrade/update from the mirror at
ftp.funet.fi. Apart from the absence of one insignificant
Gnome library (lost in the net?) evrything again was plain
and stupid. Everything works and so far no complains from
users. However any attempt to upgrade the kernel to 2.0.35
is met with a flow of mean messages during boot (complains
just about everything begining from AHA1542 SCSI-card to
inability to run NIS services). Writes some pseudographics
crap instead of "slink" at login prompt, but lets me to log
in, however X just dies. What's the matter? I'm using a shipped
2.0.34 kernel no problem. Tried to compile 2.0.35 myself -
it compiles, but is as unusable as the original one.
(I'm not a programmer, but I have compiled so many kernels already,
on this same computer with bo, for example, that I'm pretty certain
I'm not doing any mistakes). Has onyone encountered such a problem?

Regards
Alex