Re: network problems?

> Well, my problem doesn't have to do with unstability or not getting 2.0 SMP t
> work with something.  2.0.35 SMP did not have any problems with network
> performance for the many many months I was running it before last weekend's
> updates.  I believe the problem may have something to do with pppd, but I nee
> to do some further digging.
>
> On the other hand, 2.1 SMP might work with whatever change has left my system
> "unconnected".

True.  This certainly isn't guarenteed to fix your problem, but it still
seems to be a good idea in any case.  You're likely to find that your system
will just seem to run better in general, so even if it doesn't fix *this*
problem, I'd still recommend it for SMP users.

> What needs to be done/upgraded/downgraded in regards to the
> Debian 2.1 slink distribution to run the 2.1 kernel?

Nothing really.  I just downloaded the kernel source, compiled, installed,
rebooted, and everything just started working.  No problems.

If you have an external module package (such as PCMCIA support or ALSA) that
would need to be recompiled as well, but if you don't need something like
that then all you need to replace is the kernel itself.

Eric