Re: kernel problems?

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.981113223232.30522A-100000@gong.astro.spbu.ru>, "Alexey V. Yurchenko" <ayurchen@astro.spbu.ru> writes:

> Writes some pseudographics crap instead of "slink" at login prompt,

I believe this is probably unrelated to your kernel problems.  Perhaps
you install 'linuxlogo' ?

> but lets me to log in, however X just dies. What's the matter? I'm
> using a shipped 2.0.34 kernel no problem.

I'm pretty sure this is an X11 problem.  Unfortunately the packages
were rearranged soon before the freeze.  The dependancies aren't
strong enough to actually force the installation of all the correct
packages.

Have you followed the advice from the package description of 'xbase' ?

 xbase contains the filesystem infrastructure required for further installation
 of the X Window System in any configuration.
 .
 Those wishing an X server only (with remote font services and clients) will
 also require the xserver-common package and an X server.
 .
 The counterpart to the above configuration is a machine with the X libraries
 (the xlib6g package), xbase-clients, a window manager, some X font packages,
 and likely many more clients.
 .
 Those who desire a standalone X workstation (and/or are fuzzy on the
 concepts of X servers and X clients) will require both of the above sets of
 packages.  A recommended minimal list of packages for such a configuration is:
 xbase, xbase-clients, xf86setup, xfonts-100dpi, xfonts-75dpi, xfonts-base,
 xfonts-scaled, xlib6g, xserver-common, an xserver (several are available,
 and which you use is largely dependent on your graphics hardware), a window
 manager (several are available, and which you use is largely a matter of
 preference), and a terminal emulator X client package (again, several are
 available and which you use is your decision).
 .
 A number of terms are used to refer to the X Window System, including "X", "X
 Version 11", "X11", "X11R6", and "X11R6.3".  The version of X used in Debian
 GNU/Linux is derived from the version released by the XFree86 Project, Inc.,
 and is thus often also referred to as "XFree86".  All of the preceding quoted
 terms are functionally interchangable in a Debian system.
 .
 Still confused?  Install xbase and then read the files in /usr/doc/xbase/ for
 assistance.