Re: [Debconf13-ch] Preparation of the debconf13 decision meeting

Hi

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 09:46:04 +0100, Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 23:39:09 +0100, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> > The decision meeting is probably comming very soon. As it seems until
> > now, the global team does not have many questions. But from the
> > discussion so far it is clear, that the cost will be a major decision
> > factor. Although the Latvia bid isn't exactly cheap either we are
> > clearly more expensive.
>
> I am still on the opinion that it is *normal* that our bid is more
> expensive that the Latvian one, for the simple reason that the cost of
> living in Switzerland is one of the highest in the world:
>
>   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_cities_for_expatriate_employees>
>   <http://www.mercer.com/articles/1095320>

While I agree that this is "normal" I don't think it matters much. I
guess that if there is a cheaper option which is not clearly inferior in
other regards, the DebConf team is going to choose the cheaper option.
Previous discussions showed that they do care a lot about the costs.

> That being said, it is obvious that reducing the overall prices is a
> good thing, but I think we are a bit too late at this point.
>
> > - We should probably at least ask Le Camp if they in general see the
> >   possibility to give us some discount (especially on the food). We
> >   could also discuss options where we don't rent some of the houses for
> >   debcamp. Luca are you going to do this or would you prefer if someone
> >   else talked to them?
>
> I would prefer if someone else would take care of that, first because I
> do not share this idea *at this point* of the bid and second because I
> am going to travel over the week-end and the next week again I will not
> have good connectivity.

I would do that, but my French is a bit poor so that I fear I won't be
able to communicate this in the right tone. Didier are you up for this?

> I had the chance to talk to some guys organizing the RMLL in Genève this
> July and they told me that they have planned to have meals at around 8.-
> CHF each in Geneva: this is done hiring people that they know, which is
> something we could consider.  This obviously means extra work for us,
> which should be taken into account.

OK, that's the same thing Michael Germini talked about, right? I guess
this would add up to about 24.- CHF for the whole day. I added this
price to the wiki.

> > Beside these two points we should also work on answer to all the points
> > on the Priority List[1]. In addition to the priority list we have to
> > prepare:
> >
> > * A description of the weak points in their own bids.
> > * A description of the strong points in other bids.
>
> What is the rationale behind these?

I don't know. These point are from the agenda[1] for the dicision
meeting. I guess if the global team expects us to talk about this we'd
better prepare for it... ;-)

Gaudenz

[1] http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/BidProcess#Venue_decision

> Thx, bye,