Re: [Debconf13-ch] Preparation of the debconf13 decision meeting

Hi there!

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 23:39:09 +0100, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> The decision meeting is probably comming very soon. As it seems until
> now, the global team does not have many questions. But from the
> discussion so far it is clear, that the cost will be a major decision
> factor. Although the Latvia bid isn't exactly cheap either we are
> clearly more expensive.

I am still on the opinion that it is *normal* that our bid is more
expensive that the Latvian one, for the simple reason that the cost of
living in Switzerland is one of the highest in the world:

  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_cities_for_expatriate_employees>
  <http://www.mercer.com/articles/1095320>

That being said, it is obvious that reducing the overall prices is a
good thing, but I think we are a bit too late at this point.

> - We should probably at least ask Le Camp if they in general see the
>   possibility to give us some discount (especially on the food). We
>   could also discuss options where we don't rent some of the houses for
>   debcamp. Luca are you going to do this or would you prefer if someone
>   else talked to them?

I would prefer if someone else would take care of that, first because I
do not share this idea *at this point* of the bid and second because I
am going to travel over the week-end and the next week again I will not
have good connectivity.

I had the chance to talk to some guys organizing the RMLL in Genève this
July and they told me that they have planned to have meals at around 8.-
CHF each in Geneva: this is done hiring people that they know, which is
something we could consider.  This obviously means extra work for us,
which should be taken into account.

> Beside these two points we should also work on answer to all the points
> on the Priority List[1]. In addition to the priority list we have to
> prepare:
>
> * A description of the weak points in their own bids.
> * A description of the strong points in other bids.

What is the rationale behind these?

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca