Re: Debian SH3 port

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 01:39:25PM -0300, Caio Begotti wrote:
> On Monday 08 May 2006 13:19, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > It just runs 'dpkg-buildpackage', with some options. The problem is,
> > mainly, that cross-building isn't supported by the majority of packages.
>
> Wouter, what you meant with 'isn't supported by packages'?

Some software simply has never been maintained with cross-compilation
in mind, so trying to build it in that fashion uncovers bugs in the build
system.

For example, it's possible to write configure scripts that check properties of the
platform the configure script is running on, rather then checking properties of
the platform the software is being cross-compiled for.

cheers,
dalibor topic