Re: mkfs.ext2 - state D partitioning stops at 33% /boot

On Jun 22, 2020, at 11:48 AM, Frank Scheiner <frank.scheiner@web.de> wrote:

On 22.06.20 18:30, Gregor Riepl wrote:
Rethinking that, I assume if an UltraSPARC machine boots from a CDROM
drive attached to the built-in ATA controller and the installer later
can find the disc to start the installation, it should also work with
HDDs on that controller, though maybe not with UDMA speeds, but that was
a common issue with some older chipsets IIRC. Not sure if these issues
were with disc drives exclusively or also with disk drives.

My Ultra 10 has a CMD646 though, which supposedly supports up to UDMA2.

Dumb question: Did you check the cabling/jumper settings?

No, not that I remember, it looked like from the factory.

But I was also referring to something like [1]. And I also seem to
remember similar issues with ALi/ULi chipsets (e.g. used in Blade 100
and 150).

[1]: https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Pata_cmd64x#Limitations

Cheers,
Frank

I should clarify that the experiments I’m running have the goal of using higher then UDMA2+ from a PCI connected ATA card that is BOOTABLE via openboot 3.31. So far I’ve got the bootable part several times over but the UDMA2+ is eluding me on sparc64.

1) As posted by Lloyd Parkes ages ago https://www.netbsd.org/ports/sparc64/faq.html#pci-cards you can teach OpenBoot to treat some PCI IDE cards the same as the internal IDE controller. This lets you boot. I can post a longer explanation if you need to see specifically how this works. You can quickly tell if a card is worth trying if your “show-devs” at openboot has some weird path into the /dev tree. When you add to the nvram you basically fix that so it knows it’s an IDE controller.

2) I have not been able to install Debian Sparc64 9 or 10 using this process which is what this thread was looking for answers to, but I have managed to get OpenBSD 6.2+ to work fine, EXCEPT that I get UDMA2 / PIO4 out of it. I think I get about 21MB/sec using repeated DD if/of tests.

What I really want to see is 100MB/sec. I have SCSI PCI cards and all that, this is just really an itch I have to scratch. So I take a run at it every 6-8 months.

-Mike