Re: mkfs.ext2 - state D partitioning stops at 33% /boot

On 22.06.20 16:58, Mike Tremaine wrote:
[...] Worth checking, I’ll have look at the drive code and see if I
can make sense of it. A follow up question might be does anyone have
ATA based install other than the Ultra 5/10 running? Example does
anyone have SunFire v100 running debian 9 or 10? I have one that’s
offline in a rack (Solaris 10 when it was powered down several years
back), I might be able to get my hands on it for testing.

Years ago I had Debian - I believe 5 - running from disk on a Blade 100
using the built-in ATA controller. Later I only ran it diskless with
Debian unstable IIRC, same for my V100.

Rethinking that, I assume if an UltraSPARC machine boots from a CDROM
drive attached to the built-in ATA controller and the installer later
can find the disc to start the installation, it should also work with
HDDs on that controller, though maybe not with UDMA speeds, but that was
a common issue with some older chipsets IIRC. Not sure if these issues
were with disc drives exclusively or also with disk drives.

Cheers,
Frank