Re: mkfs.ext2 - state D partitioning stops at 33% /boot

> On Jun 21, 2020, at 11:09 PM, Frank Scheiner <frank.scheiner@web.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Mike, all on the list,
>
> On 22.06.20 02:06, Mike Tremaine wrote:
>> [...]
>>>>
>>> [...]
>> Sadly no good outcome. Different cables made no difference, I tried a
>> PDC20269 Card (which uses pata_pdc2027x
>> <https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/ata/pata_pdc2027x.c>)
>> and in that case I can not see the disk nor the cdrom once the kernel
>> has loaded. (Which is consistent with Debian 9 SILO installer on that card)
>> That is I can boot the cd and then when it comes to the stage of loading
>> from the media it can not be found. asmod shows the pdc2027x drive is
>> loaded and lspci shows the card but no devices are on it.
>> The PDC20267 (Promise ATA 100 using pata_pdc202xx_old) is the original
>> card I was working with today and it can’t make the filesystem. [Opps
>> posted]
>> I went ahead and tried OpenBSD6.7 on this new disk to see if it works
>> and it does. So I’m right back where I was before I began this exercise.
>> I need to find a HighPoint HPT366 the non-raid kind of card to see if it
>> can been used. I know I tried at least one SILxxx and it was not useable
>> by OpenBoot.  I’ll keep thinking about ways around this. I wonder if the
>> FCode linking I do to the card somehow limits the DMA mode to match the
>> onboard limit. It’s kind of a blackbox to me. But I thought once the
>> kernels take over they would sort it out.
>
> @all:
> Are there any users that had success with Promise based ATA controllers
> on UltraSPARC?
>
> @Mike:
> I wonder if your problems could be an endianness issue in the Promise
> drivers. In the end, I assume these were mostly used on x86. I'd expect
> it to work with the onboard ATA controller of the Ultra 5 - at least it
> worked for me when I tried an installation on my Ultra 10 and I believe
> the hardware used in both machines is similar to identical. That it
> works with OpenBSD for you could be due to their development process
> which takes into account the specifics of many different architectures.
>
> Cheers,
> Frank

Worth checking, I’ll have look at the drive code and see if I can make sense of it. A follow up question might be does anyone have ATA based install other than the Ultra 5/10 running? Example does anyone have SunFire v100 running debian 9 or 10? I have one that’s offline in a rack (Solaris 10 when it was powered down several years back), I might be able to get my hands on it for testing.

-Mike